Monday, May 16, 2011

Sleepless in West Richland

Ok, even though nobody is commenting on my blog, Marc requested an update. I went to Seattle on Monday, May 9th and wasted the whole day waiting for medical people to figure it out and listen to me-I could answer most of their questions as I've been through this for 3-4 years, but all they did test me for blood clots, found some in my legs and gave me a subcutaneous stomach shot (lovenox). Tues they finally got me an MRI but didn't tell me how the tumor's doing. Then they finally gave me a reduced dose of the chemo treatment (cytoxin). Wednesday they gave me another reduced dose, and we were able to come home. They also had a meeting about me and cyberknife, but they didn't tell me what they decided. My platelets are low so they can only give me reduced treatment dose. It is IV administrated over 3 hours 2 days in a row then 28 days off. I am looking to get the next treatment June 9th and 10th here in the tri-cities, and hopefully at full strength if I can get my platelet count up (however you do that). I haven't had any nausea or hair loss yet. I've had some fatigue. I am trying to wean off decadron, which has caused some headaches. I saw a family doc today and he took me off the lovenox for blood clots. Now I am only on Coumadin (warafin) for blood clots, decadron (dexamethasone) for brain swelling, and cytoxin (chemo IV drug, next treatment June 9, 10). I was supposed to do physical therapy today, but they cancelled that because of the blood clots so that was a waste too. To sum it up a lot of wasted time and a lot of waiting and being bored. The decadron causes night time urination (my record is 10x in one night!) and can cause insomnia, hence the title. I'm getting around with a walker and doing okay. I have what they call chemo brain (a little fuzzy) and my vision is in and out. Overall I guess I'm pretty good considering the circumstances. I am going to home evening tonight to my ysa branch, but I don't plan on playing dodgeball under the strobe light for activity. That's where I am.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the update Puls. We're thinking of you!

Hilary said...

I read your blog and we continue to think of you and keep you in our prayers.

Melissa said...

Well, that makes two of us who are sleepless, though I really SHOULD be sleeping, considering the 33 kids I'm going to face tomorrow. Expect a call from me soon. :) We'll catch up.

Nama said...

It's good to hear you're doing well, Puls! Keep up with the bloggin'. I promise I'll be back to comment. :)

Marc said...

see? It's not just me. Also I just set a personal record of 4 trips to the bathroom while I was in NY. You better step your game up cause I'm shooting for you.

Trevor Kerr said...

Hey Puls--- My prayers are with you! You are an inspiration!